The publication whose web site you’re visiting has chronicled the local, national and international labor movement for more than 120 years. Though each edition was written for present-day readers, over time the archives have become a rich resource for historical research. What most of our readers call “the Labor Press” has gone through several name changes since it was founded. It was known as:
- Portland Labor Press from Sept. 3, 1900 to Aug. 28, 1915;
- Oregon Labor Press from September 1915 to May 1986;
- Oregon/Washington Labor Press from June 6, 1986 to Apr. 17, 1987; and
- Northwest Labor Press from May, 1, 1987 through today.
We maintain an archive in our office consisting of bound volumes dating back to 1916, which we make available to researchers by appointment during regular office hours.
There are also microfilm and/or paper holdings of varying completeness available in a number of libraries, including:
- Oregon Historical Society, Portland, Oregon (1900-)
- Multnomah County Library, Portland, Oregon (1905-)
- Wisconsin Historical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin. (1905-1937; 1958-1964)
- Wirtz Labor Library, U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, D.C. (1911-1979)
- University of Washington Suzallo and Allen Libraries, Seattle, Washington (1914-1986)
- Reed College Library, Portland, Oregon (1915-)
- Harvard University Library, Cambridge, Massachussetts (1915-)
- University of Oregon Library, Eugene, Oregon (1917-)
- Oregon State University Library, Corvallis, Oregon (1940-1996)
- Holland/Terrell Libraries, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington (1952-)
- Cornell University Library, Ithaca, New York (1986-)
Contact individual libraries for more complete detail about their holdings.