Every year on Labor Day, union members come together to celebrate family and community. Here are this year’s events.
- PORTLAND — The region’s largest Labor Day picnic takes place at Oaks Amusement Park in Southeast Portland, sponsored by the Northwest Oregon Labor Council, AFL-CIO. Members and their families from dozens of unions – more than 15,000 people – turn out for barbecue, games, carnival rides, raffle drawings, music, and a chance to hear from local politicians. The picnic runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will be a kids’ scavenger hunt, and a blood drive challenge. Politicians take the stage at 1 p.m. Free shuttle train: Labor Day is the busiest day of the year at Oaks Park. To help union members avoid traffic jams and parking headaches, the Northwest Oregon Labor Council has made arrangements with the Oregon Pacific Railroad for a free shuttle train into Oaks Park. The train boards at Southeast 4th and Caruthers, near OMSI. There is plenty of street parking near the McLoughlin Overpass and McCoy Millwork, and the Portland Opera will open its parking lot — yellow spaces only. The pin code for the gate will be 1895. The 5-mile shuttle runs from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (last train). For more information, call the Northwest Oregon Labor Council at 503-235-9444.
- ASHLAND — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Emigrant Lake, Picnic Shelter D, 5505 Highway 66, Ashland. Food and entertainment for the whole family. Lunch will be served at noon. Vehicle fee of $4. Sponsored by the Southern Oregon Central Labor Chapter.
- BEND — 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., Pioneer Park, NW Wall St., Bend. There will be food, drinks, and live music. Bring your family! Invite your friends! Please bring a dessert, everything else will be provided. Sponsored by the Central Oregon Labor Chapter.
- SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON Southwest Washington-Cowlitz-Wahkiakum Counties Labor Council and Southwest Washington Labor Council are teaming up for a good old-fashioned union Labor Day picnic. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Haydu Park, 253 Kalama River Road, Kalama, Washington. There will be barbecue lunch, music, kids’ games, local politicians, and more.
- EUGENE/SPRINGFIELD — Splash Pool Picnic Shelter, 6100 Thurston Road, Springfield. Noon to 3:30 p.m. Hamburgers, hot dogs, live music, door prizes. Please bring a side dish to share. Sponsored by the Lane County Central Labor Chapter.
- SALEM — 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Riverfront Park, 230 Front St., SE, Salem. A barbecue with all the fixings will be provided. Guest speakers from 11-11:30 a.m. Request two non-perishable food items per person, or $2 per person for the Marion/Polk Food Bank. Sponsored by Marion-Polk-Yamhill Labor Chapter. Contact Will Music at 503-598-6344 or email@example.com
- NORTH BEND/COOS BAY — There is no picnic this year.